Today is my dad’s birthday, so in his honor, I baked up a storm! (okay I’m just using that as an excuse but who cares!) Anyway, I baked him this for breakfast and we really liked it. It’s low-fat and high quality tasting; it’s very good! This is a great dish to make the night before for quick breakfast before school, too.
Banana Pound Cake Recipe (serves about 8)
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp of sea salt
- 1/2 tsp of xanthan gum
- 1 tsp of pure vanilla
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup agave or maple syrup
- 4 small ripe bananas, pureed or well mashed
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup vegan margarine
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 8-inch round springform pan or 8X8 dish and set aside.
2. In a small bowl or cup, combine non-dairy milk and the 2 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar Let milk mixture sit for 5-10 minutes to form a buttermilk like liquid to eventually mix with the whole batter.
3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all of the flours and dry ingredients. Add vanilla, brown rice syrup, applesauce and oil to the dry ingredients and stir. Lastly add the banana and the milk-lemon mixture and mix well.
4. Let it start to rise and foam a bit from the baking powder and soda, then pour batter into prepared pan. Smoothy out the top with a spatula because it will bake how it looks, then bake for 40-45 minutes until the top is golden brown and the middle can be tested with a pick to ensure it is cooked through.
based off this recipe